"Few things are more beautiful to me than a bunch of thuggish, heavily tattooed line cooks moving around each other like ballerinas on a busy Saturday night. Seeing two guys who'd just as soon cut each others throats in their off hours moving in unison with grace and ease can be as uplifting as any chemical stimulant or organized religion."

-Chef Anthony Bourdain (Kitchen Confidential)

Friday, October 22, 2010

Sushi On The Prairies

Although I would not consider myself a Sushi connoisseur by any means, one place here in Winnipeg is doing a great job. Sushi California at 545 Academy Road gets it right every time. If I had to choose it may not be my first choice for Sushi, my fiance and I are huge fans of Meiji Sushi in the Village. But if your looking for a less expensive fast Sushi fix I'd lay my good word on dining at Sushi California.


Let's face it... we live in Winnipeg and further more winter is fast approaching. Fresh fish is hard to come by and good quality fresh fish at that. Working in the restaurant industry let me tell you first hand, some suppliers will try to sell you any shit product they can. You can often tell when they are sitting on sub par product and wanna pass it.

I remember a few months ago we were waiting days on a Halibut order, after numerous call back and delays it finally arrived. When the delivery came in with the smaller then usual foam box with my " fresh" Halibut, he tossed it up on the counter with a "thud" and shuffled me the bill to sign. By the very sound I knew this fish was frozen. This ass hat was trying to sell us frozen fillets that looked like a large pickerel at best. Needless to say he got an ear full.

My point here is the fish Sushi California uses you can tell they don't take shit product. The quality of products they continue to serve at Sushi California is s solid seven in my book. I'd happily pay for that time and time again. Friendly ownership, great service, great environment, good prices. Take out or eat in I got no qualms with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment