"Few things are more beautiful to me than a bunch of thuggish, heavily tattooed line cooks moving around each other like ballerinas on a busy Saturday night. Seeing two guys who'd just as soon cut each others throats in their off hours moving in unison with grace and ease can be as uplifting as any chemical stimulant or organized religion."

-Chef Anthony Bourdain (Kitchen Confidential)

Monday, October 25, 2010

Pay the cost...

In the past few years I have noticed a common pattern emerging, from the massive stack of papers strewn about the kitchen office. There is always a steady flow of resumes incoming but I think since the blowing up of the food network, every Susie-Homemaker and Pit BBQ Daddy wants to be a "chef". Don't get me wrong I love the food network and I love my job. I would always encourage people to join the chaos of the culinary meat grinder that I call my chosen profession. However, if you feel like being a "chef" would be a good career move because you enjoy cooking or know a few good recipes that your family loves to eat at Sunday dinners, may I say take a moment and re-consider.

Some of you may be thinking that's a little rude or a cold thing to say but take my word for it, kitchens are not for the faint of heart. Most days are a fast paced race to get things done, ridiculous and most of the time unrealistic time lines, loud noises, extreme heat, dog eat dog co-workers, temperamental chefs, very sharp and dangerous equipment and that is all before you have to get your first cup of coffee.

Like in most serious professions, to climb the ladder is not an overnight process. It takes dedication, hard work, sleepless nights and not to mention raw talent. So when I see a resume come in for a pastry chef assistant and it says "I enjoy baking apple crumbles" (this happened) it makes me shake my head. Even for veteran cooks in the industry that are dedicated enough, unfortunately most of them don't have half of what it takes to be a leader or god forbid attempt to open their own restaurant.

In comparison if I were to watch the latest season of "The Apprentice" should I then call up ol' Donny Trump and ask for a internship?...I think not.

I hope this little rant didn't burst your bubble about one day being the next food network superstar. Thanks for reading my blog...and I think your apple crumble is ready. :)



This post was inspired by none other then Mr. BB King-----> Payin the cost to be the boss!!!

2 comments:

  1. i really DO love baking apple crumbles :)
    but i'd be the WORST pastry assistant...i'm pretty sure richard would kill me on the first day...
    welcome to blog-land!
    i feel some blog-cookoffs in our future!

    - alana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was trying not to sound sexist in that post, i hope it doesnt come accross that way. I had to get Katie to read it over for me. I would love to do a little cook-off or maybe just come over for dinner. Ang and i are long over due for a dinner party.

    ReplyDelete