"Few things are more beautiful to me than a bunch of thuggish, heavily tattooed line cooks moving around each other like ballerinas on a busy Saturday night. Seeing two guys who'd just as soon cut each others throats in their off hours moving in unison with grace and ease can be as uplifting as any chemical stimulant or organized religion."

-Chef Anthony Bourdain (Kitchen Confidential)

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Micro Magic

This was my garnish bowl for Tuesday night. Some beautiful micro Coriander or Cilantro, the other is a Sweet Corn. The tips on the Sweet Corn are as you guessed... Sweet, where as the lower half is a little more bitter. They look fantastic on almost any dish and really give great color and texture. Micro herbs are becoming increasingly popular in restaurants and markets. Aside from color and texture they add flare, freshness, taste and a slightly higher price tag. Check your local greenhouse and see what's sprouting.



Other commonly availible Micro Herbs are
-Parsley
-Chive
-Raddish
-Chick Pea Sprouts
-Coriander/Cilantro
-Mash


2 comments:

  1. I'm planning on installing a hanging window garden on my south facing living room window. I know you're the chef as opposed to the gardener, but I was wondering if you could recommend some (un)commonly used herbs that grow well (or not so well; I fancy myself to have a wee bit of a green thumb).

    Here's a helpful link if anyone else may be interested.

    http://www.windowfarms.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Corn or chickpea sprouts the best. Watercress is a rare type of herb but i find it does not work as well with a large variety of dishes. A few others you may like are Marjoram, Lemongrass, Jamaican Dogwood, Honeysuckle, Curry Leaf, Acacia or Annatto.

    ReplyDelete